5.7.08

The Diary Of Kyle: Sea Lab (8)

An Excerpt from "The Diary Of Kyle"

November, 23rd 1999.

"Sea-Lab"



Today was a good day! It began by mother making me delicious scrambled eggs and even more delicious Belgium waffles! I don't like Belgium very much, but I think their waffles are pretty good. Have you ever even seen someone from Belgium? Neither have I. I doubt it is even a real place.



During breakfast, father told me that the lab in the sea was looking for children to come and explore. As soon as he told me, I knew I had to go right then and there. I thanked mother and began begging father to take me. For the first 287 times of me asking, he said no. But after 288 times, he finally said OK!



I knew that it's a long way to the Sea Lab, so I made sure to bring plenty of things to keep me occupied during the trip.



Things I brought:

Tape-Recorder (For thoughts/notes about the Sea Lab and other things)

Picture of Albert Einstein (for inspiration and a giggle)

Several Belgium waffles from breakfast (in case I get hungry)

Sony Walkman and tape of Queen's greatest hits.



I started the tape and after hardly any time, we were at the Sea Lab transport station! I was really surprised at how quick he got there. For some reason, I thought it would take a long time.

Father told me that it is for children only, so he got in the car and waited. I think it's weird that he always just waits there. Because he could go anywhere, I mean, he's an ADULT and can DRIVE. So why just wait in the car when there are roads to drive on and cities to see?

Anyway, I walked up to the station, and a man in a bright orange jumpsuit greeted me. He seemed friendly. I wonder if he gets paid extra for being so friendly, because it seems like he does, or should because he is doing a great job at being friendly. Maybe he is always really friendly, and that is one of the reasons they hired him. Or maybe, he wasn't always friendly, but because of the job he has to fake it. I hope it's the first, because people shouldn't have to be friendly if they don't want to be.



So, the friendly guy in the suit walked me to the "Deep Sea Diver" as they call it. Well, they actually never called it anything, but it said that on the side. I wonder what they actually call it. They probably just call it "Deep Sea Diver" but maybe they call it something else. I would like to find out. I should ask the friendly guy.



Once me and the friendly guy got into the "De-Se-Di" as I call it, the friendly guy pushed a ton of different colored buttons and the ship began to move. It was so exciting!



Then it takes us reaaaally, reaaaalllyyy far underwater. It seemed like it took us days, but that was probably because I didn't have my Walkman.



Eventually, the De-Se-Di reached a huge building and we stopped at this big garage door looking thing. It opened for us and we drove in. I asked the friendly guy what they called the ship, and he said they just call it the "Deep Sea Diver". I figured. Oh, I also asked him if he was always this friendly, and he said yes. That made me happy.



After we got out of the Deep Sea Diver, the friendly guy (I still don't know his name, I should ask him.) walked me to the main deck, so I could meet the captain!



The captain wass a funny man, who was always saying funny things, but he didn't not know. Everyone laughed about the funny things he says when he wasn't paying attention. A lot of the time, he wasn't paying attention.



The captain told me all about the Sea Lab and I didn't really pay attention. It was really boring. He talked a lot about kelp. I guess they harvest a lot of here. I'm not really sure what kelp even is. I should have paid more attention. Oh well. Maybe I should Google it when I get home.



So next, the captain started to give me a tour of the Control Room, which apparently is where they control all of the stuff in Sea Lab. It seems kinda cool. But as he started to show me the Control Panel, the lights started flashing red! I didn't really know what was going on, but he started yelling at the friendly guy and it seemed to make him a little sad. The friendly guy said "right, right, OK sir. Right" a lot, then he started running around. I don't think he really knew where he was going, but maybe he did.



Then, a bunch of other guys in funny orange suits ran in and waited for the Captain, who was biting his nails and cursing a lot under his breath. They all seemed really nervous/scared. I was pretty scared too.



The captain yelled at all of them too, giving orders and stuff like that and they all ran in different directions. I had no idea what was going on! I tried to stay out of the way, but then there was a loud explosion!



It sounded like a bomb, but I wasn't sure. I asked the Captain if it was, but he didn't answer me. I asked him again, in case he didn't hear me, but he just looked at me and started cursing again. I'm pretty sure he heard me both times.



After a few minutes, another loud noise happened, and it really freaked me out. I thought I was going to die, or at least get hurt really badly. Then the friendly guy who didn't look as friendly anymore came back, and he whispered something to the Captain. It seemed to calm him down a bit.



I asked him if someone was bombing us, because it sounded like someone was, and he finally answered me. He said no, that it was some test they were doing and that it didn't go very well. But he kept saying it was all right. It seemed like he was saying it to himself more than to me.



The friendly guy then looked at me sadly, and told me that I had to leave in case something happened. It made me really sad, but I was a little relieved, because the Sea Lab was getting really scary.



He took me back to the Deep Sea Diver and drove me back to the Transport Station. I told him that it was really cool, and that I hoped no one died from the bombs. He told me he hoped so too, and that he felt bad that I couldn't stay longer. I told him it was okay, but he kept saying it wasn't. Then, he gave me a ticket to the Space Academy, to make up for it I guess. I took it gladly, because it had always been my dream to become an astronaut just like my hero, Neil Armstrong. This made the friendly guy very happy. I was glad that he was so happy.



I walked back to the car, and father was still there, waiting. I don't know how he does it. He asked me how it went and I didn't want to worry him, so I said it went "really, really good". This seemed to please him. I told him thanks for taking me and he said I should be.



We got home pretty late, and mother was already asleep. I guess I'll have to tell her about it tomorrow. That's probably good, because I am really tired!



I think tomorrow I might go to the zoo. I hope I see pandas!

No comments: